Rachel Ramirez lives in Olhão, Portugal where she produces two and three dimensional works. These are informed by the aquatic life of the Oceans, seas and shorelines, particularly the local Ria Formosa and North Atlantic. Rachel has been a member of the Nature Printing Society since 2006 and a member of East London Printmakers since 1998.
Please note all specimens for gyotaku printing are acquired from sustainable fishing supplies,donated from scientific research projects or found already dead when beach combing.
Most recent exhibitions
- Lessedra 11th World Art Mini Print Exhibition, Lessedra Gallery, Lozenetz, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- New Gyotaku Prints at Côrte-Real Galeria, Paderne, Portugal.
- Unidade Criativa, Group Show, Casa das Artes, Tavira, Portugal.
- Arte Algarve VI, Galeria Arte Algarve, Única Adega Cooperativa da Algarve, Lagoa, Portugal.
- 18th Annual International Gyotaku Exhibition, Higashimatsuyama City Culture Center, Saitama, Japan.
- Print Out, Embrace Arts, Richard Attenborough Center, Leicester, UK.
- Gyotaku Prints, Côrte-Real Galeria, Paderne, Portugal.
- Travessa da Arte, Unidade Criativa Group Show, Casa André Pilarte, Tavira, Portugal.
- Dreams, ELP Group Show, Freud Museum, London, UK.
- The Sketch Book Project, Brooklyn Art Library, (touring the USA)
- Gyotaku Prints (solo exhibition) Casa 5 Galeria de Arte, Tavira, Portugal.
- 17th Annual Internationa Gyotaku Exhibition, Higashimatsuyama City Library, Saitama, Japan.
- Artalaia, Quartel da Atalaia, Regimento de Infantaria Nº1, Tavira, Portugal.
- 2nd Penang International Print Exhibition, Penang State Art Gallery, Malaysia.
- Print Zero Exchange 7, Print Zero Studio, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- The Visitors, E17 Art Trail, Vestry House Museum, London, UK. (Touring Show) 2011 Biblioteca Municipal Àlvaro de Campos, Tavira, Portugal.
2012 Escola de Música, Cambrils, Catalunia, Spain.
- 1º Aniversário da Casa 5, Galeria de Arte, Tavira, Portugal.
Belgium, Cuba, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Japan, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA
- Alexandria Library, Permanent Print Collection, Alexandria, Egypt
- Artists Books, Special Collections, Sir Kenneth Green Library, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- British Library, London
- Camara Municipal, Barreiro, Portugal
- Cornell College, Mount Vernon, USA
- Fundação Pedro Ruivo, Faro, Portugal
- Permanent Print Collection, Eastern Oregon University, Oregon, USA
- Sakima Art Museum, Ginowan City, Okinawa, Japan
- Tate Library & Archive Collection, Tate Britain, London
- The Americas Biennial Exhibition Archive, Iowa, USA
MA Fine Art, 1992-1994
Royal College of Art
BA Hons Fine Art, 1989-1992
Central St Martins College of Art
Recent short courses
- 2012 Scientific Illustration Course taught by Dr. Pedro Salgado at the Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto, Portugal.
- 2010 The Nature Printing Society Annual Workshop, The Oregon Institute of Marine Biology, Coos Bay, Oregon, USA.
- 2009 Intensive Japanese Woodblock Printing Course (2.5 days duration) taught by Professor Hiroshi Maruyama at the Faculdade de Belas Artes, Universidade do Porto, Portugal
- 2008 Intensive Scientific Illustration Course (40 hours duration) taught by Dr. Fernando Correia at the Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal